The mission of the Elmwood Park Zoo is to foster an appreciation for wildlife and the environment that will inspire active participation in conservation.
Elmwood Park Zoo was established in 1924 when a local farmer transferred 16 acres and a small menagerie to the Borough of Norristown. Today, the Zoo is owned and operated by the Norristown Zoological Society, a non-profit organization whose mission is to foster an appreciation of wildlife and their habitat that will inspire active participation in conservation. Under the Society’s careful management, Elmwood Park Zoo has attained the elite status as one of only 225 institutions accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums. The Zoo's accreditation was renewed in September, 2011.
Elmwood Park Zoo currently maintains a collection of over 100 species primarily indigenous to the Americas. Highlights of the collection include bald and golden eagles, Chacoan peccaries, howler monkeys, bighorn sheep and timber wolves. Presently, 16 species in the collection are managed pursuant to an international SSP (Species Survival Plan), representing threatened and endangered species. Others represent significant wildlife conservation success stories, such as the American bison, peregrine falcon, bald eagle, timber wolf and American alligator. About two-thirds of the animal collection is on exhibit; many others are maintained separately for use in education programs. Learn more about our animals.
Elmwood Park Zoo is located at 1661 Harding Blvd. in Norristown, PA, conveniently situated near all major highways in the area, and major tourist attractions including the Valley Forge National Historical Park and the King of Prussia Shopping Mall.
Copyright 2014 Elmwood Park Zoo
1661 Harding Blvd
Norristown, PA 19401
Main Number: 800.652.4143
Fax Number: 610.292.0332