Summer Session is Now Full
Thank you for your interest in our Animal Care Internship at Elmwood Park Zoo. We are no longer accepting applications for summer 2019.
Applications for the 2019 fall Animal Care Internship program are now available.
The animal care internship provides an opportunity for college students or recent graduates majoring in Biology, Zoology, Animal Science, Environmental Education or a related field an opportunity to explore the realities of a career working with animals. This internship will provide the intern with valuable hands-on experience with almost every animal in the zoo’s varied collection while working and learning side-by-side with a small team of keepers.
– Current college students, recent college graduates, those considering a career with animals
– Previous animal experience is not a requirement, but desired
– The ability to work as part of a team is crucial, as are strong communication skills.
– Must be able to do physical work on your feet for more than 8 hours, lifting up to 50 pounds and perform activities such as raking or shoveling
– Must have complete/clear TB test, PA Child Abuse Clearance and PA Criminal Background check
– You must be at least 18 years of age
– During Fall and Spring Sessions: minimum one 10 hour day per week (more if desired)
– During Summer, minimum two 10 hour days per week (more if desired)
– The three sessions mimic most college semesters: Fall runs Aug-Dec, Spring runs Jan-May, and Summer runs May-August
– Must be able to attend a scheduled interview and a scheduled orientation prior to start of session
– Shifts are 7:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m
– Intern shifts occur every day regardless of inclement weather, except in cases where travel in the weather may be dangerous.
– Intern shifts occur every day regardless of holiday except Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve & Day, New Years Eve & Day when the zoo is closed.
– Preparing/distributing animal diets
– Maintaining exhibits/enclosures
– Preparing and developing animal enrichment
– Assisting keepers with animal training (as available)
– Speaking to guests as part of keeper talks
– Daily observation and reporting of animal behaviors
– Interns will be provided with the opportunity to learn in a non-profit AZA accredited facility that meets the highest standards in zoo practices
– Interns will be provided with hands-on experiential learning and mentored by our talented keeper staff
– Internships at Elmwood Park Zoo are developed to provide a rich learning experience and are non-remunerative
– EPZ Internships may be applied to receive college credit in accordance to your school’s policy
Animal Care Internship Application
- You are at least 18 years of age
- You must complete a PA Criminal Background Check and PA Child Abuse Clearance and submit the results to us.
- You are a current college student or a recent graduate majoring in or having majored in a relevant course of study to the internship that you seek. OR; You are a current professional considering a career change and are seeking relevant experience.
Applications are kept on file for 12 months. Incomplete applications will not be considered.