As a non-profit the Elmwood Park Zoo depends on the generosity and support of volunteers to help deliver our mission, but we understand that not everyone can commit to a regular volunteer shift or may not be comfortable educating guests. The Community Volunteer Team (CVT) is designed for people who may have occasional availability or special skills to help with short term or single day projects. This projects might include:
– Working as a wayfinder or other hospitality role for a large event
– Setting up for big events like Boo at the Zoo, Wild Lights, etc.
– Spring or fall grounds readiness, including things such as mulching or raking leaves
– Helping with a large project such as a storm clean up or deep clean of the giraffe barn
Members of the CVT will receive an email notification when a project is available. Assignments will be made based on the skill/interest listed in your application and volunteer availability. All volunteers must be over the age of 14. There is no animal handling or direct animal contact involved with any of our volunteer opportunities
The CVT is not designed for those looking for single day service projects for a group or those looking for community service hours. For those looking for group service projects please use our Corporate/Group Volunteering Application.
Community Volunteer Application
- You are at least 14 years of age
- Understand that this is for episodic volunteer opportunities as needed by the organization. Specific dates can not be requested
- This application is not intended for individuals who need to complete court-mandated community service, corporate/service groups, or for those who wish to apply for an internship
- Not all opportunities are a good fit for all potential volunteers, so please read the program descriptions carefully before submitting an application.
- We are unable to arrange job shadows or volunteer opportunities with our veterinary staff.
- Additionally, our volunteer opportunities are primarily long-term. We invest a great deal of resources into our volunteer program and do not offer one-time or short-term opportunity apart from corporate volunteer days.