Summer Session is Now Full
Thank you for your interest in our Education Internship at Elmwood Park Zoo. We are no longer accepting applications for summer 2019.
Applications for the 2019 fall Education Internship program are now available.
Our Education Internship is designed to give individuals practical experience in delivering conservation-based education programming to guests in order to help advance the zoo’s mission. This program includes the opportunity to gain hands-on experience while caring for our animal ambassador collection. Interns will have the opportunity to work side-by-side with educators in the zoo to create activities and lesson plans.
– The internship is open to current college students, recent college graduates, those considering a career with animals and career changers
– Previous animal experience is not a requirement, but is desired
– The ability to work as part of a team is crucial, as are strong communication skills.
– Must be able to do physical work on your feet for more than 8 hours, lift up to 50 pounds and perform activities such as raking or shoveling
– Must have complete/clear TB Test, PA Child Abuse Clearance and PA Criminal Background check
– You must be at least 18 years of age
– During Fall and Spring Sessions: minimum one 10 hour day per week (more if desired)
– During Summer, minimum two 10 hour days per week (more if desired)
– The three sessions mimic most college semesters: Fall runs Aug-Dec, Spring runs Jan-May, and Summer runs May-August
– Must be able to attend a scheduled interview and a scheduled orientation prior to start of session
– Shifts are 7:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m
– Intern shifts occur every day regardless of inclement weather, except in cases where travel in the weather may be dangerous.
– Intern shifts occur every day regardless of holiday, except Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve & Day, New Years Eve & Day when the zoo is closed.
– Caring for the Education Animal Ambassador collection which may include preparing diets, maintaining exhibits/enclosures, preparing animal enrichment, assisting keepers with animal programing in the zoo and animal training (as available), daily observation and reporting of animal behaviors.
– Deliver informal education programs on site for guests
– Present animal meet and greets for guests
– Assist with Zoo-On-Wheels programs as needed
– Opportunity to learn in a non-profit AZA accredited facility that meets the highest standards in zoo practices
– Opportunity to present programs and develop skills related to public speaking and education planning
– Hands-on experiential learning mentoring and training by our talented keeper staff
– Internships at Elmwood Park Zoo are developed to provide a rich learning experience and are non-remunerative
– EPZ Internships may be applied to receive college credit in accordance to your school’s policy
Education Internship Application
- You are at least 18 years of age
- You must complete a PA Criminal Background Check and PA Child Abuse Clearance and submit the results to us.
- You are a current college student or a recent graduate majoring in or having majored in a relevant course of study to the internship that you seek. OR; You are a current professional considering a career change and are seeking relevant experience.
Applications are kept on file for 12 months. Incomplete applications will not be considered.