Elmwood Park Zoo is observing an exciting milestone in 2019, as the nonprofit organization and Norristown, PA landmark celebrates 95 years of supporting and promoting wildlife conservation.
Elmwood Park Zoo first opened to the public on July 4th, 1924, with 6 white tailed deer headlining its meager collection. Today the zoo is home to dozens of species from all over the globe, including giraffes, jaguars, and zebras. It is one of the oldest zoos accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA). In 2018 the zoo welcomed over 600,000 guests, and it saw the number of annual members grow to over 13,000.
“We are proud and excited to be observing such a distinctive occasion,” said Al Zone, Elmwood Park Zoo’s Executive Director and CEO. “It’s humbling to be part of such a long running and beloved institution, and to know that you had a hand in its success.”
In addition to introducing a new 95th Anniversary version of its logo, the zoo plans on commemorating its anniversary throughout the year with various promotions and special events:
- Beginning March 4 and continuing every Monday throughout the year, the zoo will offer its first 95 guests discounted $9.95 admission.
- The zoo’s 11th annual Beast of a Feast fundraiser on June 20 will offer guests delicious food from Montgomery County’s top restaurants. Beast of a Feast is sponsored by 92.5 XTU.
- Elmwood Park Zoo’s 4th annual Wine Safari on August 16 returns to take guests on a tasting tour of local vineyards, breweries and distilleries.
- The zoo’s inaugural Golfing Fore Conservation outing will tee off September 23 at Bluestone Country Club in Blue Bell, PA.
- Elmwood Park Zoo’s Anniversary Gala will be a formal celebration of the zoo’s many accomplishments over the course of its 95 years, as well as its bright future. The Gala will be held on November 14 at Bluestone Country Club.