Museum and Theater Attendant
Position: Museum and Theater Attendant
Reports to: Centre Theater and Elmwood Park Zoo Management
Coordinates with: Centre Theater Staff, Cast and Crew; Elmwood Park Zoo Staff
Location: Centre Theater, 208 Dekalb St, Norristown, PA
The Centre Theater’s mission is to reinvigorate the artistic landscape in Norristown. With a decided focus on community relationships, representation, and accessibility, The Centre Theater will work with arts organizations in the region to provide a home for the tapestry of arts and culture in Norristown. This cultural hub features the Charles L. Blockson Exhibition, Montgomery County’s first African American and Black focused museum, on its third floor. The fourth floor of the building features a newly-renovated 120 Seat Theater, designed to create a dynamic and engaging public experience.
This individual should be highly motivated, responsible, and personable with a proactive attitude. Museum and Theater Attendant (Attendants) are expected to have an outgoing personality, the ability to problem-solve, and must show an interest in art, history and culture. Operating as the “face” of the Centre Theater, Attendants play a vital role in creating the welcoming and engaging atmosphere within the organization. Attendants assist with the daily operations and upkeep of the Charles L. Blockson Exhibition and greater Centre Theater building. Responsibilities include working in the retail shop, the museum space and in the Centre Theater’s Front of House and Box Office functions, including will call, ticket sales, usher, and concessions. Other responsibilities include assisting with event setup, breakdown, and execution, as well as assisting with small programs, group trips, and tours. As the Centre Theater is an extension of the Elmwood Park Zoo, there may be some shifts scheduled at the zoo to assist with event and general operations.
- Ensure guests are properly greeted and assisted at your assigned position.
- Communicate effectively with all guests and groups
- Ability to be trained in all necessary aspects of the position.
- Operate an assigned cash register making proper change, managing transactions, and ensuring a balanced till.
- Keep areas neat and assist with regular cleaning of the exhibit and theater.
- Responsible for responding to guest needs and customer inquiries regarding admission rates, hours of operation, exhibit pieces, show information, and special events.
- Inform management of comments, suggestions, or concerns.
- Assist with restocking and inventory in retail or concession space
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by management.
- Assist the organization in its mission to educate visitors and create an engaging experience.
- Assist management in ensuring safety, cleanliness, and efficiency in all areas of operation.
- Be available as per business needs.
- Always follow and adhere to all policies and procedures for the organization.
- This position may require prolonged standing.
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 30 lbs.
- Must be able to work inside or outside in a variety of weather conditions.
- This role is part-time and requires full availability for any shift, including weekends, nights, and some holidays. Standard shift times will vary depending on theater and museum operations.
- Bilingual is a plus.
Education: High School Diploma/Equivalent
License: A valid Driver’s license/State ID and second form of valid identification is required. Ability to pass background and child abuse clearances.
Wages: $14.00-15.00 per hour depending on experience and qualifications