Guest Services Representative
Position: Guest Services Representative
Reports to: Guest Services Management
Coordinates with: All department
Summary of Responsibilities:
This individual should be highly motivated, responsible, and personable and should have a proactive attitude. Guest Services Representatives (GS Reps) are expected to have an outgoing personality, the ability to problem-solve, and must show an interest in our mission. Operating as the “face” of the organization, GS Reps serve a vital role at the zoo. The Elmwood Park Zoo Guest Services department operates in a variety of facets, and GS Reps are expected to be trained and knowledgeable in these areas. GS Reps have the opportunity to work at a number of locations, both indoors and outdoors, throughout the Zoo. To ensure a quality experience for all guests visiting the zoo, GS Reps are expected to be friendly, positive, and helpful. Responsibilities may include but are not limited to, operating a point-of-sale system (POS cash register), cash handling, stocking, and inventory. GS Reps are expected to keep their areas neat and organized. Guest Services Representatives also have the opportunity to help guests daily by answering questions, providing information and assisting with special requests. Other responsibilities include but are not limited to, assisting with event setup, breakdown, and execution, as well as assisting with small programs, such as birthday parties.
- Assist the Zoo in fostering an appreciation of wildlife and their habitat that will inspire active participation in conservation.
- Assist management in ensuring safety, cleanliness, and efficiency in all areas of the operation of the Zoo.
- Be available as per business needs.
- Always adhere to proper dress attire.
- Be prepared to work in various outdoor conditions.
- Always follow and adhere to all policies and procedures for their specific department and the organization.
- Ensure guests are properly greeted and assist at your assigned position.
- Communicate effectively with all guests and groups.
- Respond to guest needs and anticipate their unstated needs
- Ability to be trained in all necessary aspects of the Guest Services Department such as cashier, admissions sales, reception, guest/member check-in, retail sales, event facilitation, and other roles involved with public programming and zoo operations. This position also includes the potential to facilitate evening programs, events, and shows.
- Operate an assigned cash register making proper change, managing transactions, and ensuring a balanced till.
- Keep the work area neat and orderly, including any merchandise presented and maintaining a professional and clean counter to customers.
- Responsible for responding to customer inquiries regarding admission rates, hours of operations, memberships, special events, attractions, etc.
- Inform managers of comments, complaints, or concerns.
- Contribute to the basic daily neatness and organization of the department and other areas.
- Assist Guest Services team with restocking and inventory in Nature Shop which includes verifying and stocking merchandise when delivered for Nature Shop in accordance with SOP.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by Guest Services Management team.
- This position may require prolonged standing.
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 30 lbs.
- Must be able to work inside or outside in a variety of weather conditions.
- Many shifts are available with flexible hours, including weekends and some nights.
- Education: High School Diploma/Equivalent
Identification: A valid Driver’s license/State ID or Passport and second form of valid identification is required. Ability to pass background and child abuse clearances.
Wages: $14.00 to 15.00 per hour depending on experience and qualifications