We are currently accepting Interactive Experience Internship applications from motivated and qualified individuals interested in pursuing a rewarding career as a Zookeeper, Educator, or in Conservation. This internship will provide interns with valuable experience with a variety of species from the zoo’s varied Education Collection in the Harmony Hideaway exhibit including our sloth, parrots, corvids, waterfowl, herptiles, etc. Please note none of our internships provide the opportunity to work hands-on with our large birds of prey or our veterinary staff.
Interactive Experience interns will work directly alongside our dedicated and experienced exhibit Educators in order to gain experience in animal care and guest engagement in an AZA-accredited zoological organization. These duties may include, but are not limited to: daily animal husbandry, diet and nutrition, regular cleaning and maintenance of the Harmony Hideaway exhibit, animal enrichment, guest interactions on and off exhibit including giraffe and bison feeds.
Interactive Experience Interns will receive valuable public speaking and engagement experience that is crucial to so many future job opportunities. Through animal presentations and chats, Interactive Education Interns will learn how to present animals to the public as well as how to engage audiences in order to promote empathy and conservation goals.
In addition, interns may have the opportunity to gain experience in the following areas as available: positive reinforcement training programs, animal welfare/wellness assessments, and record keeping. Interns will be working side-by-side with experienced educators/keepers as well as staff and volunteers from various departments in the Zoo and should be comfortable working in a team environment. All applicants should be willing to approach the internship as a valuable opportunity to learn, gain experience, and create a network to advance their career.
- Current college students or recent college graduates preferably with a conservation education, biology or animal science related major
- Previous animal experience is not required, but preferred
- The ability to work as part of a team and good communication skills are crucial
- Must be able to work outdoors, do physical work on your feet for more than 8 hours, lifting up to 50 pounds and able to perform activities such as raking or shoveling
- Must have complete PA Child Abuse Clearance and PA Criminal Background check
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Two 8.5 hour days per week
- This internship is offered during 3 sessions: Fall (Aug – Dec), Spring (Mar – May), Summer (May – mid August)
- Must be able to complete a video interview and attend an in person orientation prior to the start of the internship
- Shifts 8:30 – 5:00 pm, may vary based on the season
- Intern shifts occur every day regardless of weather, except in cases where travel may be dangerous
- Intern shifts occur every day regardless of holiday except Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve & Day, New Years Eve & day
- Caring for the Harmony Hideaway Exhibit animal collection which may include preparing diets, maintaining exhibits and enclosures, preparing enrichment
- Assisting educators in delivering animal chats on exhibit
- Delivering informal chats and other education programs in the Zoo for guests
- Presenting select animals in the Zoo during meet and greets
- The opportunity to learn in a AZA accredited facility that meets the highest standards in zoo practices
- Provided with hands-on experience, experiential learning and mentoring by our talented education team
- Internships at Elmwood Park Zoo are developed to provide a rich learning experience and are non-remunerative
- Elmwood Park Zoo Internships may be applied to receive college credit in accordance to your school’s policy
Interactive Experience Internship
- You are at least 18 years of age
- You must complete a PA Criminal Background Check and PA Child Abuse Clearance and submit the results to us.
- You are a current college student or a recent graduate majoring in or having majored in a relevant course of study to the internship that you seek. OR; You are a current professional considering a career change and are seeking relevant experience.
Applications are kept on file for 12 months. Incomplete applications will not be considered.