The Guest Engagement and Programming Internship has been created to help interns develop communication and organization skills, by providing structured experience working with the public. This internship will challenge those in its role to help develop, plan, and coordinate unique programs that will be offered to further the mission of the organization. Utilizing a feet-on-the-ground technique, we allow individuals in this role to see exemplary guest interaction, working side-by-side with the Guest Services Department. In addition, those in this role will be able to assist with coordinating private bookings such as group trips and birthday parties. Altogether, this internship opportunity will help refine customer service and hospitality skills, by providing first-hand experience.
- Current college students or recent college graduates preferably with a hospitality, event planning, or customer service based degree. (Please Note: Those with an unrelated degree that are interested in the field of customer service or hospitality may be considered).
- Applicants that are interested in working in a customer service, event planning, or hospitality based organization.
- Previous work experience is not a requirement, but desired
- The ability to work as part of a team is crucial, as are strong communication skills.
- Must be able to do physical work on your feet for more than 4 hours, lifting up to 30 pounds.
- Must have complete PA Child Abuse Clearance and PA Criminal Background check
- You must be at least 18 years of age
- Available for at least 2 days per week, one of which must be a weekend day (Saturday or Sunday)
- Must be able to commit to 16 hours per week to be considered for the internship, depending on availability this can be split between 2-3 days per week (More hours may be available depending on course requirements and the needs of the business.)
- Shifts will typically be scheduled 9:30am-5:30pm, however this may vary depending on program, event, and operation schedules.
- Intern shifts occur every day regardless of inclement weather, except in cases where travel in the weather may be dangerous.
- Intern shifts occur every day regardless of holiday except Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve & Day, New Years Eve & Day when the zoo is closed.
- Public and private program planning, coordinating, and executing.
- Assisting with guest communication including in-person conversations, phone calls, and emails.
- Aiding the Guest Services Department in day to day operations of the zoo.
- Coordinating with outside vendors.
- Assisting with event setup and operations.
- Providing additional guest interpretation and wayfinding throughout the zoo.
- Developing activities for public programs.
- Interns will be provided with the opportunity to learn in a non-profit AZA accredited facility that meets the highest standards in zoo practices.
- Interns will be provided with opportunities to work directly with the public in the field of customer service.
- Internships at Elmwood Park Zoo are made to further develop skills such as organization, time management, and communication.
- Interns will learn the process for planning public programs from start to finish.
- EPZ Internships may be applied to receive college credit in accordance to your school’s policy
Guest Engagement and Programming internship Application
- You are at least 18 years of age
- You must complete a PA Criminal Background Check and PA Child Abuse Clearance and submit the results to us.
- You are a current college student or a recent graduate majoring in or having majored in a relevant course of study to the internship that you seek. OR; You are a current professional considering a career change and are seeking relevant experience.
Applications are kept on file for 12 months. Incomplete applications will not be considered.