Our Ambassador Care Internship is designed to give individuals practical experience in delivering conservation-based education programming to guests in order to help advance the zoo’s mission. This program includes the opportunity to gain hands-on experience while caring for our animal ambassador collection. Interns will have the opportunity to work side-by-side with educators in the zoo to create activities and lesson plans.
– The internship is open to current college students, recent college graduates, those considering a career with animals and career changers
– Previous animal experience is not a requirement, but is desired
– The ability to work as part of a team is crucial, as are strong communication skills.
– Must be able to do physical work on your feet for more than 8 hours, lift up to 50 pounds and perform activities such as raking or shoveling
– Must have complete/clear TB Test, PA Child Abuse Clearance and PA Criminal Background check
– You must be at least 18 years of age
– During Fall and Spring Sessions: minimum one 10 hour day per week (more if desired)
– During Summer, minimum two 10 hour days per week (more if desired)
– The three sessions mimic most college semesters: Fall runs Aug-Dec, Spring runs Jan-May, and Summer runs May-August
– Must be able to attend a scheduled interview and a scheduled orientation prior to start of session
– Shifts are 7:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m
– Intern shifts occur every day regardless of inclement weather, except in cases where travel in the weather may be dangerous.
– Intern shifts occur every day regardless of holiday, except Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve & Day, New Years Eve & Day when the zoo is closed.
– Caring for the Education Animal Ambassador collection which may include preparing diets, maintaining exhibits/enclosures, preparing animal enrichment, assisting keepers with animal programing in the zoo and animal training (as available), daily observation and reporting of animal behaviors.
– Deliver informal education programs on site for guests
– Present animal meet and greets for guests
– Assist with Zoo-On-Wheels programs as needed
– Opportunity to learn in a non-profit AZA accredited facility that meets the highest standards in zoo practices
– Opportunity to present programs and develop skills related to public speaking and education planning
– Hands-on experiential learning mentoring and training by our talented keeper staff
– Internships at Elmwood Park Zoo are developed to provide a rich learning experience and are non-remunerative
– EPZ Internships may be applied to receive college credit in accordance to your school’s policy
AMBASSADOR CARE Application
- You are at least 18 years of age
- You must complete a PA Criminal Background Check and PA Child Abuse Clearance and submit the results to us.
- You are a current college student or a recent graduate majoring in or having majored in a relevant course of study to the internship that you seek. OR; You are a current professional considering a career change and are seeking relevant experience.
Applications are kept on file for 12 months. Incomplete applications will not be considered.