Applications for the summer session will close on March 15th.
If you are interested in pursuing a career in conservation, conservation education, zookeeping, informal education, or other animal-based career the Conservation Education Internship is a great opportunity to get real-world experience engaging with the public about wildlife as well as managing interactive experiences which is crucial to most, if not all, careers relating to conservation and animal science.
Paramount to encouraging anyone on a path of helping to preserve the natural world is providing an opportunity to connect, understand and be amazed by wildlife. Our Conservation Education Internship is key to helping us provide these opportunities for our guests. Interns will learn how to inspire guests through delivering animal interactions and experiences at the zoo. They will gain knowledge of animals and conservation as well as valuable public engagement experience. As part of the internship interns will facilitate our daily giraffe feedings, manage our barnyard experience and work directly with the Education staff to deliver the guest experience in the bird house.
In addition to guest engagement and managing the interactive experiences, Conservation Education interns will participate in animal observation studies to provide important information to the Animal Care team as well gain experience doing observations.
Interns will be working side-by-side with experienced educators and keepers as well as staff and volunteers from various departments in the Zoo and should be comfortable working in a team environment. All applicants should be willing to approach the internship as a valuable opportunity to learn, gain experience, and create a network to advance their career.
- Current college students or recent college graduates preferably with a conservation education, animal science or education major
- No animal experience is required
- The ability to work as part of a team and good communication skills are crucial
- Must be able to work outdoors, do physical work on your feet for more than 8 hours, lifting up to 50 pounds
- Must have complete PA Child Abuse Clearance and PA Criminal Background check
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- One 8 hour day per week (more may be available if desired)
- This internship is offered during 3 sessions: Fall (Aug – Dec), Spring (Jan – May), Summer (Early May to End of August)
- Must be able to complete a video interview and attend an in person orientation prior to the start of the internship
- Shifts 9:30 – 5:00 pm, may vary based on the season
- Intern shifts occur every day regardless of weather, except in cases where travel may be dangerous
- Intern shifts occur every day regardless of holiday except Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve & Day, New Years Eve & Day
- Facilitating the giraffe feeding experience
- Facilitating the barnyard experience
- Assisting to facilitate the walk through bird experience
- Assisting educators in delivering animal programming in the Zoo
- Delivering informal chats and other education programs in the Zoo for guests
- Participate in animal observation studies
- The opportunity to learn in a AZA accredited facility that meets the highest standards in zoo practices
- Provided with hands-on experience, experiential learning and mentoring by our talented education team
- Internships at Elmwood Park Zoo are developed to provide a rich learning experience and are non-remunerative
- Elmwood Park Zoo Internships may be applied to receive college credit in accordance to your school’s policy
Conservation Education Internship Application
- You are at least 18 years of age
- You must complete a PA Criminal Background Check and PA Child Abuse Clearance and submit the results to us.
- You are a current college student or a recent graduate majoring in or having majored in a relevant course of study to the internship that you seek. OR; You are a current professional considering a career change and are seeking relevant experience.
Applications are kept on file for 12 months. Incomplete applications will not be considered.