The zoo keeper internship provides an opportunity for college students or recent graduates majoring in Biology, Zoology, Animal Science, Environmental Education or a related field an opportunity to explore the realities of a career working with animals. This internship will provide the intern with valuable hands-on experience with almost every animal in the zoo’s varied collection while working and learning side-by-side with a small team of keepers.
– Current college students, recent college graduates, those considering a career with animals
– Previous animal experience is not a requirement, but desired
– The ability to work as part of a team is crucial, as are strong communication skills.
– Must be able to do physical work on your feet for more than 8 hours, lifting up to 50 pounds and perform activities such as raking or shoveling
– Must have complete/clear TB test, PA Child Abuse Clearance and PA Criminal Background check
– You must be at least 18 years of age
– During Fall and Spring Sessions: minimum one 10 hour day per week (more if desired)
– During Summer, minimum two 10 hour days per week (more if desired)
– The three sessions mimic most college semesters: Fall runs Aug-Dec, Spring runs Jan-May, and Summer runs May-August
– Must be able to attend a scheduled interview and a scheduled orientation prior to start of session
– Shifts are 7:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m
– Intern shifts occur every day regardless of inclement weather, except in cases where travel in the weather may be dangerous.
– Intern shifts occur every day regardless of holiday except Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve & Day, New Years Eve & Day when the zoo is closed.
– Preparing/distributing animal diets
– Maintaining exhibits/enclosures
– Preparing and developing animal enrichment
– Assisting keepers with animal training (as available)
– Speaking to guests as part of keeper talks
– Daily observation and reporting of animal behaviors
– Interns will be provided with the opportunity to learn in a non-profit AZA accredited facility that meets the highest standards in zoo practices
– Interns will be provided with hands-on experiential learning and mentored by our talented keeper staff
– Internships at Elmwood Park Zoo are developed to provide a rich learning experience and are non-remunerative
– EPZ Internships may be applied to receive college credit in accordance to your school’s policy
ZooKeeper Internship Application
- You are at least 18 years of age
- You must complete a PA Criminal Background Check and PA Child Abuse Clearance and submit the results to us.
- You are a current college student or a recent graduate majoring in or having majored in a relevant course of study to the internship that you seek. OR; You are a current professional considering a career change and are seeking relevant experience.
Applications are kept on file for 12 months. Incomplete applications will not be considered.