Elmwood Park Zoo is throwing dog lovers a bone with the inclusion of special days and events where owners can bring their pooches on their very own zoo excursion! Presented by Metropolitan Veterinary Associates, our Dog Days and Yappy Hours invite zoo fans and their four-legged family members to enjoy the zoo together! Dog admission is limited and rules are in place to help ensure the comfort and safety of you, your dog, other guests, and the zoo’s animals.
All guests visiting the zoo with a furry friend must complete an online application and submit required documents before purchasing their tickets. Along with the application below, you must upload a copy/record of your most recent veterinary visit, as well as proof of vaccinations and heartworm test. All items will be required in order for you to attend our Dog Days and Yappy Hours. Please note, dogs will not be permitted to enter the barn or our animal feeding decks.
Families often consider their pets as members, and many enjoy sharing adventures with their dogs! Now one of those adventures can be to the Elmwood Park Zoo, for select “Dog Days” through the year! Dog Days are hosted on select Wednesdays and Fridays from 1:00PM – 4:00 PM in March (last admission at 3:00PM) and 1:00PM – 5:00 PM in April (last admission at 4:00PM).
Yearly Members: $9.95 per dog
SINGLE DAY Members: $10.95 per dog**
**Regular zoo admission must be purchased for all human companions.
Yappy Hours are like Happy Hours except they cater to canines as well as their owners! You and your pooch can join us after regular zoo hours on select Thursday nights, from 5:30PM – 7:30PM (last admission at 6:30PM). Guests and their furry friends will enjoy drink and food specials at our Zoo Brew Beer Garden.
Yearly Members: $15.95 per dog
SINGLE DAY Members: $17.95 per dog**
**Single Day Member purchase includes one free dog companion. Each additional companion is $9.95.
Owners/handlers are limited to one (1) dog per person at any time. All dogs must be registered to the owner/handler walking them through the zoo. Handlers must be over the age of 18 and also not responsible for managing children. All dogs attending the zoo must be evaluated by a licensed veterinarian at a minimum of once per year. Dogs must receive monthly heart worm prevention and receive an annual heartworm test. Vaccinated against Rabies, Canine Distemper Virus and Canine Parvovirus (proof required). All dogs should arrive at the zoo with a well-fitting collar or harness with one tag that indicates contact information for owners and one tag that confirms rabies vaccination status. Collars must be worn at all times. Retractable leashes are not permitted. For the safety of your dog and others, we do not allow puppies under 4 months, sick dogs, dogs with active injuries (ie. stitches, bandages, etc) or female dogs in heat.
GUESTS ARE REQUIRED TO SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING APPLICATION PRIOR TO THEIR VISIT.
Before you visit the zoo with your four-legged companion, we ask that you take a few moments to read over the following document. We welcome friendly dogs of all breeds and their responsible owners. For the safety of your dog(s) and others, please read this document in its entirety, complete as directed, sign where indicated.
Please note you must upload:
1) A health certificate showing the dog has been evaluated by a licensed veterinarian at a minimum of once per year
2) Proof of monthly heartworm prevention and an annual heartworm test
3) Proof of vaccination against Rabies, Canine Distemper Virus and Canine Parvovirus
Elmwood Park Zoo reserves the right to dismiss a dog and its handler at any time in the event the handler does not adhere to the following guidelines:
1) The dog must be on a leash and the handler must be in control of the dog at all times. This includes dogs that arrive in carriers, bags or strollers. Leashes must be shorter than 6′. Retractable leashes are not permitted.
2) Owners/handlers are limited to one (1) dog per person at any time. All dogs must be registered to the owner/handler walking them through the zoo. Handlers must be over the age of 18 and also not responsible for managing children.
3) The dog and/or handler may not cross the boundaries of any exhibit
4) The handler must clean up after the dog and deposit any waste in an appropriate trash receptacle
5) If the dog is out of control and/or disruptive and the handler does not take action to correct the behavior, you will be asked to leave. Harassment will not be tolerated and guests will be asked to leave the zoo immediately
6) If the dog animal is creating undue stress or unhealthy conditions for any of the Zoo’s animals you will be asked to leave the zoo immediately. At no time may your dog be left unattended
7) For the safety of your dog and others, female dogs should not be in heat
8) We DO NOT allow puppies under 4 months or sick dogs and dogs with active injuries (ie. stitches, bandages, etc)
9) Digging is not permitted while on zoo grounds. If your dog digs, please make best efforts to fill any holes and notify zoo staff immediately
10) Balls and other toys that can be thrown are not allowed in the zoo.
11) Dog food is permitted to be brought into the zoo for your dog but it is never permitted to be fed to zoo animals
Identification: All dogs should arrive at the zoo with a well-fitting harness (preferred) or collar with one tag that indicates contact information for owners. Proof of rabies vaccination status must be available either via tag or printed record. Collars must be worn at all times. The following collars are NOT permitted: Prong, Choke, Heavy Chain Link, Shock, Spike Collars.
Several areas in the zoo are restricted for dogs due to the close proximity of our animals:
1) Barn/Contact Yard
2) Giraffe/Bison Feeding Deck
3) Bird Exhibit
4) Other areas may be not be available as programs or animals dictate